Shocking is more like it. I'm so far behind, I'm still reading award winners from 3 years ago!
But I was thrilled when The One and Only Ivan was announced as the 2013 Newbery Award winner for juvenile fiction. In my 2012 year end "likes and dislikes" I named it my favorite juvenile fiction book of the year. And Code Name Verity, which was a Printz award honoree for YA literature, was my overall favorite of 2012.
Here is a partial list of the winners:
2013 NEWBERY AWARDThe One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (HarperCollins)
- Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz (Candlewick)
- Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—the World’s Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin (Flash Point)
- Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage (Dial)
- Creepy Carrots! by Aaron Reynolds, illustrated by Peter Brown (Simon & Schuster)
- Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Jon Klassen (Balzer + Bray)
- Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger (Roaring Brook Press)
- One Cool Friend by Toni Buzzeo, illustrated by David Small (Dial)
- Sleep Like a Tiger by Mary Logue, illustrated by Pamela Zagarenski (Houghton Mifflin Books)
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz (Simon & Shuster)
- Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (Hyperion)
- Dodger by Terry Pratchett (HarperCollins)
- The White Bicycle by Beverley Brenna (Red Deer Press)